serving our neighbor
The Beulah Community United Methodist Church seeks to be faithful disciples of Jesus Christ and join God’s mission by loving God and serving our neighbors.
Established in 1871 by Rev. Asbury Quillian, the church dedicated it new church sanctuary on July 4, 1885.
The founding of the Beulah Methodist Church was a pioneer enterprise in all respects. Reverend Asbury H. Quillian drove his ox-drawn wagon into Huerfano County, Colorado, arriving late in the fall of 1870 from his native Georgia. He joined the settlement on the lower St. Charles the following spring and, from a tent, began his Colorado ministry. The society formed there is recognized as being the first such organization south of Pueblo and dates from 1871.
The first women's society was organized in 1890 and called "The Women's Methodist Aid Society". Throughout the years the consistent aims of the society have been to support the financial needs of the Methodist Church. Presently know as the Women's Circle, the group continues annual events such as the bazaar, sales, and The Harvest Dinner to raise money to provide insurance, maintenance and aid .
In the mid 1950's, members of the Beulah Methodist Church offered a summer Bible School for Beulah children. The program was well received and has grown to become a non-denominational activity in which many of the Beulah children and adults participated in each summer through the 1980's.
(Page 84, 127 & 180 of Beulah's history book, 'From Mace's Hole: the Way It Was, to Beulah the Way It Is.')